Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2136 Post(s)
Liked 1,649 Times in 830 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
If it hasn't been mentioned, don't listen to music while riding. Your ears can tell you a lot about what is going on behind you. They can tell you a vehicle is approaching, the can tell you how fast it is approaching, and they can even tell you when the car is too close to the shoulder (there is more gravel/debris on the shoulder, vehicle tires sound different when they move off the clean road surface and onto the less clean shoulder).

I would offer that if you do listen to music, make sure that it doesn't drown out road noises. While not absolutely necessary to ride safely, being able to hear can certainly add a layer of safety.

Next, assume drivers can't see you (many don't), and ride accordingly. If you see a car waiting to pull onto the street in front of you, assume that it won't see you as it pulls out, so be ready to slow down or evade the car. The same applies to a car turning left at an intersection, or entering a parking lot. Motorcyclists are especially careful when they see turn signals on cars coming the opposite way.

This is very good advice. Plan escape routes, evasive maneuvers.

Avoid roads where you have less room to maneuver, or where there are lots of large trucks, or in neighborhoods where many people probably don't have licenses or insurance to drive. Even when a traffic light is green, look both ways as you cross and intersection, people are so busy playing with their phones that there has been a large increase in the number of people running through red lights.

Road selection is indeed a critical safety factor. Sometimes we arrive at the best roads by trial and error, but route planning using street view can be useful.

When turning or waiting for a light, don't wait behind another car, wait on one side or the other, you don't want to be the filling in a vehicle sandwich. Likewise, don't wait in the center of the lane.

This depends. Based on my reading, being rear ended while stopped at an intersection is rare for bicyclists. I often arrive at an intersection traveling in heavier traffic with vehicles both in front of me and behind me. We all slow together.

When the one behind you slows, you have largely eliminated the rear end threat. By moving over, some motorists will take that as an invitation to slide in beside you. At that point, with you being shuffled out of the line, it can be difficult to reenter the flow.

We all have different strategies that work for us. I didn't respond to tell you that you are wrong or to argue, but rather to give readers something else to think about.