View Single Post
Old 04-22-22, 10:04 PM
JessyMathers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sloppy12
Have you even ridden a bike with the dogs? Generally people teach their dogs to run with them on a bike not to pull them... Its not really safe for a dog to pull you(like for you mostly) pulling a sled across a snow wasteland is way different than dragging a bike down a interstate.

Doesnt sound like you really have a grasp on distance that can be traveled on a bike, you dont need a bike for 10 miles a day, you can do that walking with two dogs and a stolen shopping cart from walmart. Where do you plan on sleeping everynight? under bridges?

Probably should learn a little bit about bikes if you plan to live on one for the rest of your life.
A ebike seems like a terrible Idea. now the poor dogs will have to drag that weight to when in runs out of power...
I've trained my dogs since 7 months old to pull things like me on a pedal gocart or bicycle, so they are well adapted to it by now. There are dog sports like canicross, skijoring, bikejoring, and dog sledding where the dogs do some or most of the work pulling the human, sometimes with a vehicle and other gear. And idk where you assumed I would be going down an interstate with my dogs, but last I knew that's illegal, and it's a danger I wouldn't ever take anyhow, and usually it's out in the baking sun which would kill my dogs. Walking or riding a bike on any road is always a hazard for anyone, regardless of whether dogs are involved or not.

I understand, but my time to prepare may be limited, so I'll just stick with the basic maintenance my dad teaches me (he's a motorcycle mechanic, ect), and then whatever happens I'll trust in God. I know I don't have many more years left to live, and neither does anyone really, so even though this could be for the rest of my life, that's only going to probably be about 2 years.

Don't ask me why I want to uses bike rather than just walk, but I suppose it may be because my dogs can get going at a much faster pace than I can keep up, even when they are towing weight. The hardest part about towing is the launch, after that as long as you keep momentum and you don't have a hill it's really not that hard to keep going at a good pace. Plus the bike can come in handy someday if I need to do a quick run out somewhere for some supplies nearby, and just lock my camper up somewhere and take my dogs with the bike. I tried just walking with my dogs and a wagon, but I ended up doing all the work pulling the wagon and the dogs were yanking on me in the other direction, and it just beat me down fast.

And yea, the e-bike running out of power and then us having to pedal and pull that extra weight is exactly one reason why I'm not going that route.