Old 04-12-17, 08:49 AM
Flounce

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SF to LA ride - doable in 4 days? Training required...

Want to know 1) what your thoughts on the schedule below and 2) what sort of training I need to complete the ride below.

---

Day 0 Thursday noon - one way car rental, drive me and my bike to SF

Day 1 Friday - Start early, ride 125 mi from SF to Monterey.

Day 2 Saturday - Long day, start early - ride 145 mi to San Luis Obispo (Mile #270)

Day 3 Sunday - Sleep in a bit, ride 110 mi to Santa Barbara (Mile #380)

Day 4 Monday - Long day, start early - ride 155 miles to home in Irvine (Mile #535)

---

My longest ride to date is just shy of 200 miles and avg 15 mph moving time. I am not very strong or fast, just keep my heart rate in the 130s or so, maintain nutrition and hydration, try to minimize stops 5-10min, and keep trudging along.

I ride around 200 miles a week now, mostly low intensity except for a single session of tabata style intervals that probably aren't strenuous enough. Recently got aero bars for another hand position (not very aero given handlebar height similar to seat level) and a brooks saddle, and have been fiddling with fit. I should be able to move a little faster and with greater comfort.

Planning to do this ride later in they year e.g. after September, so I have time to train for it.

What do you think of the schedule above?

Should I work up to 300-400 miles a week in order to ensure that I can complete it without injury ? Any advice on training for this would be helpful.

thanks.

Last edited by Flounce; 04-12-17 at 09:50 AM.