View Single Post
Old 04-02-22, 10:44 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 791 Posts
Originally Posted by walkingCorpse
3 years ago I had my right knee ACL torn by falling right over a tight rope that stung inside my knee, then after it healed I had been able to cycle just fine (the seat post height should be that the knee is fully extended), although I have had to manage with a knee brace for the excessive walking which I do also. But about a month ago I fell from a motorcycle and the knee got injured in the general ACL area and its been a month without exercising on the cycle now. I was hoping that after the acute phase of the healing is over I would be able to cycle but when I tried yesterday it still pains in the frontal ACL area when pressing down the pedal if I increase the resistance. Also while pedalling back up there is some sort of a slight clicking sensation in the middle of the knee joint, not in the front, which is a new type of pain that is noticed after this more recent injury. These 3 years I had been able to cycle, and I thought this new injury last month should be just an impact injury without causing any more severing but I'm now getting concerned, and losing the ability to do the only form of exercise I have been able to. Any advice on what could be going on?
https://www.bikeforums.net/training-...-meniscus.html

^^^Thread on my possible torn meniscus^^^

Not too long ago I injured what I believe was my right medial (innner) meniscus, but after sometime I also believe I injured my ACL as well. I do feel pain on my meniscus at times when I do twisting motion; however, when I fully squat down (all the way), I feel discomfort in the back of my knee, leading me to believe I also injured the ACL.

At one point, shortly after I injured my knee, it was locking up bad, even locked up on a bike ride. However, that locking is now a thing of the past and I simply have discomfort on the meniscus, but the discomfort in the back of knee is gone...until last week when I attempted to do some squatting. I didn't attempt anything crazy, but squatted about 300lbs and felt fine, until the next day. No pain, but the discomfort is back now when I squat Ass to Grass (all the way down).

I can still cycle pain free, but this has probably lengthened my recovery for getting back running at full capacity. My point is, if something is causing pain, I would stop it and find another exercise to do what does not cause too much pain. For me, that is working out with machines vs free weights -- then get back into free weights, a little more cautiously. And continue doing very slow, easy runs.

Luckily I can ride with no problems, but it wasn't like that for about a month. I would seriously consider NOT using a knee brace. I know I could have reduced the pain I had in the early days by using a knee brace, but I wanted to allow myself to feel the pain, so I could adjust.