Old 05-23-22, 08:41 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Or just put some spaces in the url and we will rescue them from there. Sorry about the inconvenience, it's an anti-spam measure.

I have 300k and 400k routes plotted out, but I have never been able to convince myself to ride them. I always thought I might ride the 300k in summer, when there is more daylight. But when I'm riding by myself, 200k seems like it's enough.

I agree or at least now as an old fart. I really can't motivate myself anymore to do a 200k in training solo.

Also, this pretty well known endurance coach told me that "all you randonneurs are chronically overtrained" or something like that and said there is no need to ride much more than 6 hours. I am not sure about that but he could be right. I started from zero in February and watch my training load (TSB) and morning heart rate variability. No question that a 400k takes a lot out of me these days but I wonder what the smartest progression timeline would be towards a 1200k.

Would OP be better doing another 400K or jumping right into a 600K? Something I have been thinking about and do not know the answer.

In 2015, I had a good rando year. I did 200, 300, 400 in winter and 3-4 200k brevets about every 2-3 weeks thru April. In May, I did back to back 400k separated by two weeks and then went easy with rest before doing 600K three weeks later. I did not do the PA 600 because the extreme challenge would have taken too much out of me. Kind of a long slow build up (I think I did R12 in 2014/15). Then in mid or late June did an unofficial 200k, 250K and a real 400K on three consecutive days. Maybe I was indeed overtrained but at least I was skinny. My thinking is there needs to be a plateau or rest at each level unless someone is very young or very fit.

In any case, OP is badass doing a 400K on a Mtb bike.
Likes For GhostRider62: