Old 06-27-22, 11:28 AM
Lasue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Brake Lever Comparisons - road w/o shifter

I am updating my gravel/ rando bike to 11sp soon (from 10sp). Brakes are the Shimano disc R517 (road short pull) and I am quite happy with these and their adjustability. I need to pair them with a brake lever (without a shifter). I believe these are the options available on the market that are new: Shimano BL-R400, SRAM S 500, TRP ROAD RRL-AL ALLOY, Tektro RL-340

I am a small person. That means, the hoods do not need to be big but still must be comfy since I ride long distances. My favorite hoods of all time are the ultegra 6600 hoods. The Shimano GRX hoods are absolutely awful for me and add tons of reach, which I am too short for. I also have SRAM AXS Force. I really like the length and feel of the hoods but the width could be a bit wider.

There are no shops that have these available for me to put my hands around but as I understand it, the SRAM S500 are the only ones with an adjustable lever (to make the lever closer to the bar)? The Shimano are thinner than the STI Shimano levers I heard?
The TRP look really nice but they look similarly long to the GRX. Anyone able to verify this?

I am assuming that all of these brake levers perform equally well, of course but am trying to get an idea about the fit of each one so am excited to hear your feedback.