View Single Post
Old 07-11-22, 09:15 AM
joewein

Bikes: Elephant Bikes National Forest Explorer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 82 Posts

My July Century is complete, extending the streak to 119 consecutive months (162 km with 1988 m of elevation gain, on Strava). I headed back to the west of Izu for this, a peninsula southwest of Tokyo. I had last been there in January and March. I feel like West Izu is worth visiting at least once every season but I could see myself spending more time there, with all the gorgeous ocean and Fuji views.

I set my alarm for 05:00 to drive out early, but it was 08:30 by the time I parked the car in a coin parking lot near Mishima station. The weather forecast was for light rain in the morning but I didn't get more of it than an occasional drizzle - not enough to put on my rain gear which I'd brought. With the rain clouds I couldn't see Mt Fuji until I got to Ita, the first village south of Osezaki. I saw some cyclists in the morning but virtually none in the afternoon.

It wasn't as hot as the hottest part of my last ride (to Nippara) and in fact it felt quite pleasant in some well shaded sections of forest road but it was still very humid and the course had roughly double the elevation gain (1,988 m vs. 959 m). I think one was a good preparation for the other after a couple of weeks off the bike. I drank lots of water and other beverages but probably still not enough.

When the serious climbing started at the northwest corner at Osezaki, the noise of the semi (cikadas) set in. In some places it was overwhelming. It's the part of the soundtrack of Japanese summer!

There were still a lot of hydrangea in bloom in good condition, much better than on the ride to Okutama. Having been away almost all of June, I had kind of missed the best part of the season so I was very happy to still experience it now.

In Heda I visited Moroguchi jinja near Mihama beach. There were many families playing in the water. Different people talked to me because of my AJ Nishi-Tokyo jersey.

After Heda I visited some hotel off Rt17, on top of a mountain overlooking Heda and Mt Fuji, called Kumo to Kaze to ("Clouds and Wind"). The location was really amazing.

While my original plan had been to turn around at Matsuzaki, I instead only rode far enough to get the first half my century, visiting the port of Tago.

This allowed me to get back up to Heda with a bit more daylight left. I saw three deer before sunset.

Overall it was a long day, with all the driving between Tokyo and Izu on top of the bike ride. I had to take a nap at a Tomei service area before I could drive back all the way. On the upside, I seem to finally have overcome the jet lag from the Europe trip!

If I manage another century ride in August that will complete 10 years of "Century a Month".
Likes For joewein: