Old 07-24-22, 08:46 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
I understand the issue/concern some have of having to exert oneself less in high-heat conditions, but that's not a bad thing, because most people already workout too hard every time they go for a run/ride. Most people automatically run/ride in at least zone 3 when they should be doing zone 1 or 2. That way you're not overly stressing yourself and you're still getting all the aerobic conditioning, meaning when you do the zone 4 and above workouts, you can get the most out of them, because you're fresh.
I strictly follow a structured training plan with ample rest / recovery days so have no issues with over-training and my legs are always fresh for the hard sessions.

With that in mind, hard sessions at higher power output is better (if you stick to a good structured training plan). It builds muscle strength and helps maintain good bone density. It makes you tougher against injuries. Adding out of the saddle (OOS) or standing while pedaling intervals during the hard sessions will further amplify the bone and muscle adaptations.

This is why finding ways to improve cooling when training in the hot season is always a good thing if it makes you output more power. On the other hand, making yourself even hotter will be counter-productive. You can already overheat yourself in this hot season by simply working out harder and that would be a better thing to do than over-heating yourself by not cooling your drinks for example or even wearing warmer clothing or getting out in the middle of the day.

My training temperatures during this summer heat is still above 90F but with most of it indoors, I'm not exposed to the sun, I have unlimited supply of cold electrolyte water, good amount of airflow for cooling. That way, I can still output good power and not feel overheated.

Last edited by koala logs; 07-24-22 at 08:55 PM.