View Single Post
Old 07-25-22, 12:50 PM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
i've used a sauna in the past and have tried cold thermogenesis. Cold is great for losing fat

if a rider is very fit, it is questionable that exercise in hot temperatures to acclimate will increase any fitness parameters that I mentioned. There are studies showing the contrary. Many of the studies are with the unfit wit VO2 max in the 30's and are very short duration studies. A recent study by Prof. Rønnestad from Norway utilized elite cyclists with one group in a heat chamber, one in a heated body suit, and the control. VO2 max increased about 2.5-3% in the the heat chamber and body suit groups with the body suit groups showing the biggest improvement in FTP (VT2.....IIRC). So, maybe there is something. I know that I cannot push too hard in really hot temps at my age and my fitness does not improve although acclimatization has big benefits. Guess I am wrong or just old or both
I'm 54 and I have only been striving for health for 4 years. I watch my diet and get as much cycling and yoga as I can. I do think there is great benefit in a lot of these therapies, but you have to tailor it to suit you. I can't do the intense workout in the heat like I could 10 or better yet 20 years ago. I about stroked out from heat about 3 years ago and I am a lot more respectful of how fast you can get into trouble doing something like intense cycling in high heat.

It might be something about needing to reach a finish point that can push you when cycling that wouldn't be the same if you were just stationary training in heat like they do in those heated yoga classes, or if you were in a sauna.
Likes For RH Clark: