Thread: ACL tear pain
View Single Post
Old 08-14-22, 08:27 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
One of the few surgeries I'd recommend

Originally Posted by prj71
ACLs don't heal. They need to be replaced surgically. I have had ACL surgery on both knees.
I tore my left ACL and tried to let it heal and slowly return to normal activities. Walking, cycling, easy jogging, no problem. First time I played basketball, I pulled up at the foul line on a fast break, to take a shot. Boom, reinjured just like that.

Went to sports doc after that. He diagnosed full tear, recommended reconstructive surgery using middle third of my patella tendon as a replacement ligament. I had the surgery, wore an ACL brace for sports from then on, and have been generally ok since.

Surgery was 29 years ago. I had pain and arthritis the first couple years, and would take about 8 ibuprofen on days when I played sports. Now I cycle, walk, and golf on foot with no brace and only slight discomfort.

If you don't get reconstructive surgery you can reinjure it easily, and suffer torn cartilage as well. Losing cartilege can come back to haunt you when youre old. I've known people who tried to go without surgery as I did initially, and they all reinjured it and had surgery later. Best to get it done soon if you plan to do sports or hiking in mountains, etc. My surgeon said that without surgery all you can do is walk and cycle, and you can reinjure as easily as a false step on the edge of a curb.