View Single Post
Old 09-27-22, 06:48 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
First rule: A commuter that is left outside should have a total value less than or equal to $100.
Second rule: The value of the locks should exceed the value of the bike by 50%
That's not really hard to do.
A U-lock for the front wheel to the frame.
A U-lock for the rear wheel to the frame.
A U-lock for the frame through whatever immovable object you are locking to. (If one of the above 2 locks can go through the immovable object too, that's even better.)
Finally, a cable lock through the saddle rails securing the saddle/seatpost to the seat stays.
Rule 3: Observe the bike rack. Is secured with bolts? Thieves will disassemble the rack. Park away from the bolts. Does the rack have duct tape applied to it? If so, thieves have already cut the rack and are waiting for an opportunity to remove the tape holding the rack together & the bike secured there.
Guess I am a rebel because I break most of those rules. Replacement value of my commuter/tourer with Nitto Big front and rear racks is north of $2,000. I use one U lock for the front wheel and frame and one cable for the rear wheel.

I do, however, check whatever I am locking the bike to (e.g., bike rack, pole, etc.) for security. I also remove my saddle bag and lights if using. Once forgot to take the saddle bag and it disappeared. Only other thing that went missing, oddly enough, was the seat post QR on my old Trek 930. The post and saddle remained. That was in the late 90s.