Old 09-27-22, 07:11 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by travelinhobo
I don't believe I've read any stories where the video did any good with authorities,
You're not likely to see many news stories, but there are many YouTube channels featuring successful prosecutions/citations.

From my channel alone...

In this one the "authority" ended up being fired:

In this one the teenagers were charged with assault:

The driver of the Civic was ticketed for violating the state 3-foot passing law:

Originally Posted by travelinhobo
Did you notice any difference in how drivers responded to you? Any less stress/anger with it for you?
I've run cameras for nine years. When I first bought one I tested it on my handlebars and decided that wasn't the way to go for multiple reasons, so I mounted it to my helmet. Immediately, I noticed that the casual harassment plummeted. I also know people notice it, because occasionally people will comment on it.

Some are of the staunch opinion that visible cameras don't deter bad behavior. For argument's sake let's hit the "I Believe" button and assume they're right. It's still a moot point. Why? Because the evidential value of the camera far outweighs whether or not its visibility deters bad behavior. A high end action cam is around $300-400. How many of your insurance deductibles are that low? MAYBE your car insurance? Certainly not health or homeowners, and those are the ones you'll be using to pay for your hospital stay and property damage. My cameras don't have to dissuade people from acting poorly so long as they prove who hit me and, in turn, allow me to recoup my losses.
Likes For JW Fas: