Old 10-07-22, 09:07 AM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Again, you are obviously unaware of a lot of places where the lanes are extremely popular among cyclists. You have your weird political agenda, but I won't grant you that anything you say in that post is even close to being universally true.

If the concern is really not narrowing the roads, get rid of center city on-street parking.
It's pretty unpopular in RI. Urban areas have put them and in rush hour the traffic got worse, but if you see 1 or 2 cyclists on them it's an event.

The real way to do this is not to ruin roads with paint to make everything more crowded. The proper way is like Denmark and the Low Countries where you have real deal bike paths in all urban areas that are completely separated from traffic. Same for foot/pedestrian. The entire system has different heights and even different asphalt color and the interaction is minimal. You don't have these crazy intersection where the bike lane comes in always at a different angle or place where as a driver, walker or cyclist you are always left to guess where the next threat or accident will be coming from. They even use bridges or tunnels to minimize interaction of all parties and when cars needs to be slowed traffic circles are used over lights.

The difference is purely economic: these countries are willing to invest the resources because they neither make cars nor oil products so driving basically means kissing monies spent on motor vehicles or running them goodbye forever leaving their economy never to come back. But this is the way to actually improve everything. Doing it the cheap way by painting extra lanes to make everything narrow, miserable, worse for almost every party involved and feeling good about it is not the answer. This is why people at least in Rhode Island hate them, and why many towns despite a few short sighted do gooders on their planning board are not doing it because people are upset by the thought after seeing how miserable these lanes make it to go to urban areas. I live in the country and this is yet another reason am keeping it that way.

Regarding political views I have none. Knowing that the central banks are almost all private (except for 3 countries) and that the currency is based in debt I know it's an exploitative, cruel system that at best is nice to you in order to invest participation. I am not like down or depressed about how awful the world is, I just accept it. Consider me the honeybadger or politics as I have been called. Or Benjamin the goat in Animal farm. I understand the only president or God in my life can be me. Not out of arrogance but because everything else is fake and cannot be relied upon. Being my values are Macchiavellian because that is how nature and the world works, I do look down upon those who think they "are good" or can "be good" or "do good". Such a thing is logically impossible. I would describe these well intentioned people as naive but the truth is I don't applaud their efforts because they are too dumb to realize the ill they do. Ignorance is more dangerous than evil.

Last edited by Attilio; 10-07-22 at 09:31 AM.