Thread: 2022 Randonnees
View Single Post
Old 12-11-22, 07:49 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,067 Times in 1,082 Posts
Perm pop #4584 today, on the fixed gear. Weather was 39-41F, sprinkles, light wind. I chose to ride this triangle shaped loop counter clockwise, because the long stretch along the Columbia river is very exposed to gorge wind, which was blowing from the east. I got a late start at 11:30, which just meant a dusk finish at five hours. The first few miles drop down 300 feet to essentially sea level, crossing the Sandy River at Troutdale, which bills itself the Gateway to the Columbia River Gorge. The bridge is the first control. Crossing back over the Sandy on the I-84 bridge, the route works it's way to Marine Drive along the Columbia. I stopped at Subway, mile 22, for a quick lunch, eating half a 12" there and saving half for later. From there it's about half trail and half road to the next control at Kelley Point - a lookout point at the confluence of the Columbia and Willamette rivers. From there it's down along the Willamette, under the spectacular St. John's bridge, then along waterfront trails and eventually the Springwater trail. I stopped along this segment to eat the second half of my Subway sub, enjoying the river view. I started having gps issues where the route departs from the Springwater trail to head down to Milwaukie - the stupid thing kept asking if i wanted to exit navigation, and wouldn't take yes or no. After about a million retires, I got the route restarted and continued my merry way. It did cost me to backtrack a few hundred yards. The control at Milwaukie makes the third corner of the triangle. The last ten miles regain the lost 300 ft of elevation, mostly a gradual climb on the Springwater trail. My elapsed time was 4:50, getting me in just before dusk. Although i still consider myself a fixed gear newb, I felt comfortable on the bike. Tired, but comfortable.
Likes For downtube42: