View Single Post
Old 04-24-05, 11:50 AM
orange leader
B-b-b-b-b-b-bicicle Rider

Bikes: 1997, stumpjumper S-works hardtail, Medici, Giant Perigee(track dropouts and fixed gear), Columbia twosome, schwinn twinn, '67 raleigh 5 speed internal hub, Old triumph 3 speed, old BSA 3-speed, schwinn Racer 2spd kickback, Broken raysport criteriu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Everyone is different. So some get cold while others sweat. I tend to be a warmer person than most I ride with. I live in Wisconsin so it gets cold here. But I live in Milwaukee, so not as cold as the rest of the state. In winter I usually wear 1 or 2 tshirts and a sweatshirt on my torso. If its' snowing/ or a freezing rain, I'll wear my Race Face gortex shell over a long sleeve tshirt or 2.

On my head I simply wear a balaclava (or is it baclava? I always get those 2 words confused. NOT the dessert.) on my head because my neck breaks out in hives if it's cold, and it fits nicely under my helmet. If it doesn't fit under your helmet, get a larger "winter helmet" and/or take out your pads. If it gets really cold I have an neoprene face mask, as my balaclava doesn't actually go over my mouth, nose or cheeks.

On my hands I wear the thin Pearl Izumi pittard gloves down to +15 F. Below that I put on the thicker Pearl Izumi winter gloves or my Lake alaskas but they don't have as much flexibility in the fingers and I think they don't work as well either, maybe because there's so much insulation that circulation is slowed. I've also had good luck with the Specialized winter gloves except the ones I have don't have a removeale liner and when I pull my sweaty hand out the liner inverts and is a pain to put back in. I think the newer ones might have a removeable liner which are usually easier to put back in.

For my legs I wear unpadded cycling tights, by Pace with cargo shorts so my butt isn't out there for the world to see (I'm shy). One or 2 pairs, they're thin enough that 2 pairs at once is not cumbersome or bulky at all. I haven't had to go to 3 pairs. If it gets rainy or really really cold I'll put on gortex rain pants.

for my feet I have a pair of Lake boots for when it gets really cold or snowy. but I usually just wear my regular cycling shoes, without any booties or extra socks. The socks though may make a difference, I wear WigWam socks, which are generally very warm. I can't wear wool (it makes me itch) so I'm stuck with synthetics or cotton. The only problem with the wigwams is that the ones I wear (ironman triathalon series) are mostly synthetic, so they start to smell. I never had that problem with cotton socks, but I wore those out very very fast. I've had some of my wigwams for 7 years. I like to stick with a brand I find works, and these are great for me. AND I live in wisconsin where they are made I can go to the factory when they have their factory seconds sales and get em cheap.

That's my winter wardrobe, It's worked for about 7 years, I've tweaked it, but not much. I'll try new products but not much has changed. I've ridden through all sorts of WI weather, One time the U.S. Postal service even shut down due to the snow, and I rode through it ( I wish I had the cycling boots and goretex then.)