View Single Post
Old 09-21-15, 08:34 PM
mtnbke

Bikes: '92 22" Cannondale M2000, '92 Cannondale R1000 Tandem, another modern Canndondale tandem, Two Holy Grail '86 Cannondale ST800s 27" (68.5cm) Touring bike w/Superbe Pro components and Phil Wood hubs. A bunch of other 27" ST frames & bikes.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Are you being funny? The fastback seat stays on your Trek are worthy of drooling over. Getting fastback seat stays with an integral seat clamp is just a brilliant bit of frame building flair that so many of the BIG bikes that fall to the rest of us are missing. That's special, considering the crap we usually get. If you go look at the Trek Project BIG from earlier in the thread, he had fastback stays with the integrated seat clamp as well. Very jealous.

That's what is so frustrating about BIG bikes. Every person that fits a clown car size bike can open up Craigslist and pick up a steel Colnago with the BB shell cutout, or the detailing on the seat stays brace, or one of my biggest pet peeves C&V vintage tiny bikes all have gorgeous engraved pantagraphed fork crowns. Look at almost ever Olmo, Colnago, Merckx fork and you'll see fork engraving on the crown with some form of fill color or pantagraphing. Most big bikes get unicrown crappiness.

BIG bikes for whatever the reason are plentiful in dime a dozen Univega, Miyata, Panasonic, Trek, even Cannondale frame forks that all might me great in their own right, but in terms of the detailing on the the frame building there just is no ART in the fabrication. That's why that fastback stays are so special on that Trek! I'd love to have ONE SINGLE frame building detail like that on any of my bikes.

Case in point, if we were to show this overpriced 68cm Bianchi to anyone who rides a kool but clown car sized Colnago, Merckx, Cinelli, Olmo, or even a Klein they just wouldn't get the one detail on this bike that jumps off the page:

68cm Bianchi Sport SX Mangy Tubing Shimano Lapreel Sakae Suzue Vtg Very RARE | eBay

They'd think nothing special of the Ishiwawta double butted tubing, as they sneer drinking their latte over the bars of their Reynolds 531 ride. Probably while wearing some gorgeous vintage wool Campagnolo or builder jersey in some child's equivalent size that BIG cyclists couldn't barely fit an elbow into. What makes the 68cm Bianchi special is that aside from no proper head badge (just a sticker), no chroming on the chain stays or fork, Bianchi dropouts not Campy, the bike actually gets a single kool build detail. One good frame building detail is usually one more than we usually get with BIG bikes. Look at the front fork. Looks like a cast B, for Bianchi. No it isn't the EM initials from a Merckx, or an Asso di Fiori of Colnago, but its something!

Which is why clown car cyclists never seem to understand when BIG cyclists become so clumsy. Its not our fault we're BIG and "accidentally" knocked that hot latte all over that gorgeous vintage wool jersey and the beautifully restored CycleArt repaint of the Reynolds 531 bike. Total accident. BIG and clumsy, I guess. We could pivot in the low post and windmill dunk, but can't barely stand up from the coffee table without always spilling our group ride friend's coffee all over him his kit, and his gorgeous fork detailing. Go figure. Accidents do happen.

I don't think people realize how often BIG cyclists dream of taking a frame fit fork pump and jamming it through the front wheel (Breaking Away style) while riding along with our clown car sized friend on their "another grail" 56cm bike they happened to find locally on Craigslist. You can only preach to your BIG friends so much about how epic your Reynolds unobtanium steel frame is before we want to beat your tiny little bodies into pulp with that very frame, while commenting, "Why yes, it does feel comfortable in my hands!" Think about the crap we ride that was available to us in 27" (68.5cm). Its all low tier steel. Its why we secretly hate all the little people. That and having to look at the tops of all their thinning heads all the time. Both, really.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
68cm Bianchi Sport .jpg (90.3 KB, 1755 views)
File Type: jpg
Bianchi fork crown.jpg (98.0 KB, 1750 views)

Last edited by mtnbke; 09-21-15 at 08:44 PM.