View Single Post
Old 10-02-21, 10:21 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by BobG

edit: frame geeks, correct me if I'm wrong ... I believe the above was a brazing repair with a torch, not welding with an arc? See golden color bead at joint.
I would think you are correct. What I am looking at are the "globs" and how those have wetted in, or not, to the base metal. Neither looks like the behavior of a weld pool.

You can torch weld also, not just braze.

One benefit to brazing over welding is you don't modify the base metal much. By modify I mean melt and mix weld metal with base metal. The only way to separate welded parts is to physically cut them apart as the base is fused together. Brazed parts, on the other hand, can be re-heated and taken apart - like soldering. Though, a good brazing joint will have a small amount of surface material that mixes (like when you tin copper with solder - even if you "remove all the solder" the part that had solder wetted to it will remain silver and not turn back to copper color). If you over-stress a brazed joint you can tear the base metal here before the brazing.

I would be curious how that joint held up over time - beyond the tour? I would be curious what the break looked like underneath, also. I assume it was a pretty clean break. Id think filling the crack brazing it would have been adequate. That makes me curious why they blobbed up the metal - were they trying to bridge a gap where they cut out material? Or did a chunk of material come out in the break?

Last edited by KC8QVO; 10-02-21 at 10:37 AM.