View Single Post
Old 10-20-21, 08:51 PM
jas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nsotomayor
We just put in our order for a Co-Motion Primera and now turn to figuring out the best way to haul it. For better or worse, supply chain issues mean we've got 6 months to figure it out. Right now we haul our road bikes on a Saris Bones 3 on a 2018 Honda CRV, and the guy at the shop when we took a Primera for a test ride said we'd be able to haul the tandem on that, just with the wheels off. We've been wanting to upgrade to hitch rack for a while (the Bones doesn't fit the 2018 CRV as well as it did our older one), but I'm wondering if it's really okay to haul a tandem on a hanging rack. I'm fine with it slightly overhanging the sides; I'm more concerned about the integrity of the tandem frame with the weight distribution on a hanging rack. Is it better to have a rack with a wider spread between the bars to distribute the weight?

Do folks have experience hauling tandems on hanging racks? Are you also able to fit other bikes on the rack with the tandem?

We also have the option of laying down seats in the CRV or Toyota CHR and laying the tandem flat to haul. However, we've got 2 kids and travel with the tandem will always mean hauling them, too, along with additional bikes and often a Weehoo trailer, so, this setup would mean loading up both cars. We do this now when we take both Weehoos out, but I'd like to eventually get us down to just taking a single vehicle, especially for out-of-state rides.
We have transported our Bilenky steel tandem on a Thule “hanging” top tube rack, hitch mounted on our minivan for over ten years with the wheels on. No issues with bike, rack or van. I would only do this with a quality hitch rack.
Hope that helps