View Single Post
Old 11-16-21, 07:25 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 934 Posts
Fwiw: I once had a bum FSA Vero crankset that somehow got a single arm of the crank spider bent. I bent the ring back as flat as I could. The bent arm & counter-bent ring never manifested into a problem unless I was laying down watts & usually only then when powering down a steep grade at 30+ in the small end of the cassette. Fun times in WTF(!?) Land...

A new crankset solved the issue.

I now run an oval road ring with perfect chainline. The tension is all over the place because, oval. Not a single dropped chain. Ever.

Did you recently switch to a new chainring & place it in the inboard or outboard position differently than the previous one that was removed? That would move it from "perfect" to off by at least more than 5mm & less than 10mm. That's a wicked mis alignment.

I question that chain tension is the root cause unless the chain/cog is so worn that it can climb over the cog teeth. What does a chain wear tool suggest?

Even then, it would need a reason to want to misalign & hop off. It could be a combination of both. Hence, the above.

EDIT: Now that I see a picture was posted while I was typing my reply...Chain tension is totally what your problem is. Tighten that ish up, man! Good gawd.

Last edited by base2; 11-16-21 at 08:40 PM.
Likes For base2: