View Single Post
Old 11-24-21, 06:47 AM
dirtydozen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Except that you're going to need a new chain and you don't know if your RD can handle the spread or not.
That being said, looking up the specs of your RD, a 53/42/34 11-34 combination only exceeds the chainwrap by 2, so you have a good chance of it working. Only one way to find out!
The chain is too old anyway, I have to replace it soon. That's why i thought it could be the right time to find some new rings actually.

Originally Posted by big john
A 39x34 is a pretty low gear without ever going in to the small ring up front. One of my bikes has a triple and I don't go into the 30 unless I can't climb something in the 39 and I only have a 28 in the back. And I'm 67 and fat.
Also, a 50x11 is high enough for most situations. I have a 52x11 on that bike and I don't use it that much. My other bike has a 50x12 and that's high enough most of the time.
All I'm saying is you already have lots of gears to chose from. If you want to try switching rings, go for it.
Yes you are right, I know it's not going to change much and that my gearing is fine at least 90% of the time.
I just wanted to know if it would work (worst case scenario without using the 34T cog)
Likes For dirtydozen: