View Single Post
Old 01-28-22, 06:12 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
Originally Posted by sykerocker
The comment may be sharpish and not fair, but it's not untrue. Let's be honest, for a bicycle company to survive, if not thrive, they constantly have to come up with something new to get the customer back in their store. And, quite frankly, probably every 'improvement' made in bicycle technology since the double-barreled introduction in index shifting and brifters has been overkill for the average (non-racing) cyclist. OK, I'm one of the old curmudgeons. The newest road bike that I own is a 1992 Diamondback Expert, non-lugged steel with a horizontal top tube, Shimano RSX 3x7 drivetrain. Over the past fifteen years I've owned a bit fancier (the most exotic I've ever owned is an aluminum frame with carbon fork and carbon rear stays, 2x9 Shimano Ultegra, running sewups on 32 spoke alloy rims),but right now, all my other road bikes are downtube shifters, half of which are friction. My one mountain bike is steel, 3x8, hardtail with a suspension fork and V-brakes. Ok, I'll put disc brakes almost up there with indexing and brifters.

Every other 'advancement' out there is sheer marketing. Mountain bikes, 26, 27.5, 29 wheels, if you're just riding like the majority of MTB riders out there, the wheel size really doesn't matter all that much. But the manufacturers gotta get your completely dissatisfied with your current MTB at least once every 5-7 years. Bottom brackets. Once again unless you're racing and critically worried about weight, the old Stronglight invented square-end bottom bracket serves just as well as BB30 or whatever the newest flavor. Hell, for that matter, just how much more does 11 cogs on the rear give you over 7? I've noticed now that the style is going to single chainwheels, guess that's a good justification for 11 on the rear. Carbon fiber frames? I've ridden more than a few, and with my age (71) riding style and level of fitness (I can still do centuries) they're a complete waste to me. I prefer steel, and fully understand that aluminum came about with the primary intention of lowering production costs.

Electric shifting - now that's the one that does not make sense to me in the slightest. Yes, I fully understand the concept, operation, and reason for it. I also realize that the only people who need that kind of stuff are riders under a team contract who don't have to buy their bikes, they're team issue. But boy, are they marketed to the Sunday riding dentists and accountants. (Me? I built myself an aluminum framed Mavic neutral support bike replica.). And if there's anything that goes against the inherent simplicity of the bicycle, that's it.

Enough soapbox. I'm an old man who walked to school uphill both ways in the snow. And still looks with wry humor at most of the 'improvements' that show up every year.
Just because you enjoy riding old bikes, doesn't make newer ones all marketing bs.

Just picking one example. Moving from my 2004 26" mtb to a 2014 29" (both full suspension trail bikes intended for the same use) the improvement was so dramatic (not just because of the wheel size - geometry, weight, gearing, shifting, braking all much improved) that I've never fallen off it ever since and I was regularly crashing on my old bike. I've since moved to a 2019 mtb and the difference there was far more subtle, but still better nonetheless. The newer bike is a good few pounds lighter and I beat all my previous PRs on it within a couple of weeks, clearing a few climbs that I would often fail on the older 29.

Road bikes I've owned quite a few right back to the early 80s. I now ride modern carbon endurance bikes and they are the best I've ever ridden over the years. Fast, smooth, quiet, comfortable. Really nothing to complain about. A couple of years ago I went on holiday to a friend's villa and he had an early 2000s Trek carbon bike there which I borrowed to explore the local hills. Top spec DuraAce drivetrain, no expense spared Project One build. This was the best of the best from that era. It rode like s*** compared to my 2019 Giant Defy. Quite shocking in fact. Yet I don't remember road bikes of that era being so relatively crap to ride. It's just that the newer ones didn't exist back in the day, so there was no direct comparison.

Just sayin.... it's not a simple case of marketing over substance.
Likes For PeteHski: