View Single Post
Old 01-27-23, 07:41 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
And then there are those who criticize nice-holes because they give up their right-of-way to let you run your red or stop sign.
Not the same issue at all.

The only reason I don't obey stop signs or lights is because as a rider, I am not subject to the same blind spots as a driver is, so I can tell if an intersection is otherwise unoccupied to a degree of certainty unavailable to a driver. If there is such a "nice-hole" there, I am going to stop if they are at the intersection and have the right of way. This can lead to the "after you, no after you" stand-off that no one likes (inconvenient), but it can also be a safety issue if their maintaining their position in the intersection screens other lanes or what's behind them from my view, The safest operation is predictable operation, so I'd much rather other operators actually act according to right of way precedence rather than leave me guessing about theirs and other drivers' intentions as well as the presence or absence of other vehicles. .
Likes For livedarklions: