View Single Post
Old 01-27-23, 07:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I guess so, just as there are some who manage to fault all sorts of stuff.

OTOH, if by "you" you mean me, it's a non issue. I don't have problems respecting the rights of other road users, though I don't trust them to respect mine. However, I do sometimes have drivers be over courteous, and when it happens I show my appreciation, because why not?

I try to get as long as I go along, and it seems to work.

If they're courteous and going doesn't require me to place myself in danger, I have to admit that I appreciate it.

The pedestrian in the crosswalk scenario is the easiest way to illustrate the problem--there's really frightening statistics on how many pedestrians get killed because the driver in the lane closest to them when they start to cross respects the crosswalk and stops, but the driver in the next lane ignores the stopped car, can't see the pedestrian because they're on the other side of the stopped car, and the pedestrian steps out right in front of the moving car in the second lane as the pedestrian has no way of seeing them either. The problem with the over-courteous driver is they are often unaware that they are creating that sort of blind spot for the pedestrian, rider, or driver. I will refuse to go if I can't see around them, I'm not mean about it, but I may vehemently wave them on, and if there's a signal for "I can't see around you" I haven't learned it yet.