View Single Post
Old 08-13-20, 10:57 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 307 Posts
This is our Ritchey Double Switchback Breakaway. I was told by someone at Ritchey that there are about 50 of these in existence. I don't know if that is correct.

Ours is setup as a flat bar adventure touring bike. The final drive is a Box 9 speed 11-50 and a Crankenstein Bontrager carbon tandem crank / Truvative Descendant crankset with a 30 tooth chainring. The Bontrager was a triple and I wanted to try a 1X drive train.

Pedaling at our max cadence, the top speed is 28 MPH, which is fast enough. With the 50 on the cassette we can be pedaling at a good clip while going 4 MPH.

The wheels are Spinergy alloy 700C from House of Tandems. Tires are Conti GP5000 TL 32mm.

Brakes are Hope with 203 mm rotors: Shimano Icetech in front and vented Hope in back. Pads are Hope sintered.

The bag on the top tube holds all the tools I need to re-assemble the bike along with tire levers and a spare tube. When we are touring I tuck a spare tire in the bottom of one of the panniers.

This bike has taken us on some marvelous journeys: Shetland, Skye and down to Fort William, The Outer Hebrides twice, and around Burgundy. Also, miles and miles and miles of North Dakota, Minnesota and Manitoba. Looking forward to many more trips once we can freely travel again.

This is our Ritchey Breakaway tandem.
Likes For DangerousDanR: