View Single Post
Old 03-03-22, 09:15 PM
ericlowney 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 22 Posts
36" Inseam 5'10" Vintage Sizing

Hey from Tampa, Florida. I've been reading a lot on here since picking up an old (early 1970s) Dawes Galaxy from Craigslist a few years ago. I also just recently bought my daughter a Fuji Royale mixte (1980s I suspect). I've been trying to read here about proper fitting and frame sizing, especially for these vintage bikes. I think my Dawes, as much as I like it, is just a bit too large for me. I'd like to pick up a frame and start working on building it up to suit, and so here are some measurements in case anyone can help me out with suggesting a proper size. If it helps, I'm looking to find a 'top of the line' vintage sport touring frame (whatever that means). So maybe a Miyata 610, Bianchi Randonneur, Colnago Super, etc. I currently commute 7 miles each way by bike and only pack enough for the day - computer, change of clothes, etc. and like to push the speed as much as I can both ways.

Saddle Height - 31.25"
Seat Tube 24.5"
Exposed seatpost 4.75" from the top of the seat tube to the rails of the saddle (brooks swift)

I am 5'10" and no matter how many times I take an inseam measurement I end up getting near 36" (which breaks the Trek online size calculator). Any thoughts?