View Single Post
Old 03-04-22, 09:57 AM
ericlowney 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Saddle height from where to where? From top of saddle to center of BB?

If that is the max saddle height you can get on that bike with that seat post then that might be too small for your 36" inseam. Assuming 172 mm pedals, then I'd think you need something that will give you somewhere around 31.5" to 32.5" of saddle height from the BB center.

And be sure you watch for that max extension mark on the saddle. Even if not worried about it blowing up on you, then it may start annoyingly rocking back and forth while you ride or cause creaks that will drive you nuts.

If you are going to be riding a touring bike for actual touring rides for hours on end, then reach from saddle to bars will be one of the other things you need to consider.

I rode a 25" (seat tube length from BB center) Schwinn Varsity for over 35 years comfortably and I only have 34.5" inseam. Though now I know the bike was oversize for me.

One way to measure your inseam is to stand close to and facing a wall you don't mind putting a mark on. The pull a carpenters square, a large book or something rectangular or square snug into your crotch keep one edge flat on the wall. Then put a pencil mark on the wall and measure that mark to the floor

Don't wear platform shoes or stilettos. Otherwise, I'm not a stickler for shoeless or not.
I should have mentioned that the saddle height is the height to the top of the saddle from the center of the BB and that is how I am currently riding the bike (so set up comfortably for me). The reach on the frame is a bit long for me though, as the top tube is 23". I was thinking if I drop the frame size down I would just expose more seatpost and my reach could shorten up a bit. Most comfortable position for me on this bike is in the drops, so I ride there most of the time. Also, that is exactly how I measured it and I was bare foot. Do you think a 36" inseam correlates to that saddle height? I do have 172mm cranks.