View Single Post
Old 06-15-22, 01:05 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
As someone that has wrenched on various things all my life I see both sides of this thread.

When we first start out torque wrenches (and torque screwdrivers ) are great to have. It takes some considerable time and feel to develop the feel of the proper torque to use for day to day applications. Using the Twrench or Tdriver at this early stage is a big part of developing that general feel. But as we gain that experience a lot of times our idea of "about right" is very close to what is needed. I still use torque wrenches on some things that need matching or if they are outside my normal and more common work.

Yes there are adapters. But you REALLY want two tools rather than one. The big reason is that you want the spread of the settings for the smaller fasteners. The 60Nm wrench will technically do the small stuff around the 2N-m stuff. But the correct settings will be compressed so close together that they will be hard or just a guess to set correctly. Plus all tools have a tolerance of how accurate they are. If that is something like 3% it means % of the max reading. And % of 60 Nm is 1.2Nm. If you're trying to set a 1.5Nm screw and the tolerance is + or - 1.2 Nm? I think this shows why it's not good idea to use a higher load torque wrench for the small and lighter duty stuff. So if you're serious about the whole thing stop trying to make one tool do it all. Get both.
Likes For BCRider: