Old 06-21-22, 09:17 PM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I have a similar situation, except my gravel/all-road bike is steel, and when I have it loaded up with tools, water bottles, etc, it is pushing 24 lbs. Every time I think about buying an Emonda or something, I just jump on the scale and remind myself that it isn't really the bike frame that needs to lose weight.
I think I'm at a decent weight right now for my height, I did one of those weight calculators for cycling and if I did some serious weight cutting I would just need to cut about 10-13 lbs. of weight to be at peak race weight. I've done weight cutting before, but since I'm not doing anything competitive at the moment, I'm not looking to suffer! Though I also do consistent strength train with deadlifts and barbell squats, so i presume much of my current weight is concentrated in my lower body.

Also in climbs I'm usually several minutes ahead on segment checkpoints when riding with my friends, especially doing fast sprint climbs for short segments. Where I'm lacking though are on more drawn out low gear climbs where I can't immediately rely on my out of saddle strength. It's one area I'm looking to improve.