View Single Post
Old 07-26-22, 12:20 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
There's literally nothing in the 1030 Plus manual about this, but DC Rainmakers review said this if you leave the route:

) Re-join where you left the course
B) Skip ahead to the next logical point to re-join course
C) Cut across the course to somewhere way downstream

Thus as I understand it, you could download and start a route. It will know you are not on the route and will then allow a "Re-Join" which will then calculate a new route to the route you are trying to follow. Or "Skip Ahead" and presumably will prompt you as to a location where you want to re-join. I don't have a Plus so cannot tell how this works.
I don’t imagine it is any different on the 1030+ from the 1030, and what you’re describing is exactly how the 1040 has worked (which is exactly as the 1030), with one HUGE exception. I’ll explain the 1040 behavior since this thread is about the 1040.

Yes, you can load a course and start off of the track. It will ask if you want to navigate to the start, as we have established. If you select no and just start riding, at some point (within a very short distance, 50-100m typically) it will ask if you want to recalculate, and if you allow it, it will take you to the closest point of the track (which may still be the start point, but not necessarily). Once you get to the track, it will “re-join” the course and then navigation proceeds.

The exception I noted above is an option to pause navigation. This can be achieved two ways. First, you can tap the screen while riding and a “Pause Navigation” dialog will pop up, if you tap that, it just stops giving TBT directions, but the course is still visible…when you rejoin the course it will automatically restart navigation. The other way to pause navigation is to ride off the course a short distance, and it will offer a dialog to ‘Pause Navigation” or “re-calculate”, if you chose the latter it will either try to route you back to where you left the course or to rejoin further along the course, this behavior is not selectable by the rider, which might be a little annoying based on a person’s expectations, but overall, the interaction with the navigation is much improved from the 1030.

Related to these things is how much faster the device recalculates the course and redraws the maps while navigating. It is not as fast a mobile phone running a navigation app, but it is more than fast enough for bike riding. Every time. The lags in the 1030 in this respect have been fixed based on my use of the device for nearly 6 weeks now, riding almost daily and nearly always following a course.

Last edited by Badger6; 07-26-22 at 12:25 AM. Reason: typos
Likes For Badger6: