Old 08-04-22, 07:41 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
the mechanics of the ride are this:

1. You put all your camping stuff in one bag that is under 50 lbs (yes they weigh it)
2. Every morning, you wake up, pack your stuff into the bag, carry the bag to a truck
3. The truck drives to your destination
4. You reach the destination, pick up your bag, pitch your tent, take a shower, explore the town you're in, sleep, wake up and pack your bag again
5. repeat for 7 days

The trick to success is:
1. Don't pack Your bag too heavy
2. Find the best possible camp site that is closest to the trucks.
3. Get on the road early. 5:30-6AM to avoid lines to the truck
4. Finish early to find best possible campsite and to avoid long lines for a shower

Benefits without outfitter:
1. Save Money
2. The organizers get the central campsite closest to showers and the pool or high school showers
3. The town shuttle bus is guaranteed to have a stop at the central camping

The best benefit for me was freedom. I could find any campsite anywhere I chose to, I did not have to patronize with the same people in an outfitters group
Ah, great. Thanks. I am an early riser who tends to break camp quickly and hit the road. On bike tours, canoe trips, and other group events I am almost always the first one up and first on the go. So I suspect I'll have no big problem with morning lines.

I am naturally kind of a minimalist even when not trying to pack UL so staying under a 50# limit is a complete non issue. I'd be way under 50# even if there wasn't a limit. I take less than that when heading out on a solo car camping trip on the other coast.

Add to that that I am a cheapskate.

I like options so not being tied to an outfitter sounds good.

So, I'd probably skip the outfitter if I do go unless someone else convinces me of some other added value that I can't do without for the outfitter option.

I am still spooked over covid though. I have some hope for targeted vaccines being more effective and in place in time for the event. The problem is that we likely won't know how effective they are in time for registering for the next ride.