View Single Post
Old 09-18-22, 02:04 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked 1,267 Times in 874 Posts
Originally Posted by holytrousers
I started with an average cadence of 65 rpm, now i'm comfortable at 95 rpm. Are there any benefits to increase that cadence ? I can't sustain a cadence of 115 rpm for more than a couple of minutes. Are there techniques to increase that amount besides repetition ? should i aim at increasing the upper limit and my average will follow, or should i just aim at slowly increasing my average cadence ?
I wouldn't tell a total stranger what they should do.
Everybody is different, so using specific numbers for cadence & gearing simply may not apply.
I'm 74 and simply could never come close to cadence numbers posted even when in my "prime". My knees simply wouldn't do it.
I can't use a crank longer than 165mm. My knees tell me that. The shorter the crank (up to a point) the faster you can spin. I've tried 160mm, but that's just too short and probably only gained me 2-3 RPM.

Try the same route using different gears & cadences and see what works best.
I did find that upping my cadence "some", using a slightly lower gear increased my STAMINA noticeably vs "mashing". On "longer" rides I got from point A to B faster. Kind of a hare/tortoise scenario. My cadence is way low compared to what people claim works best. Maybe if you're a professional racer or??
You have to remember to enjoy the ride vs "not". Isn't that the point?