Old 07-25-19, 07:36 PM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerjw
Think about how much more aware of our surroundings that we are when we're on a bike as opposed to in a car.
I am, but cops are masters of oblivion.

Originally Posted by bakerjw
out on the patio of a downtown restaurant, I counted something like 5 cop cars with their lights going for no reason. I asked our waitress "Why the light show?" She told us that groups of "hooligans" would come into downtown and cause problems, so that was the cities response to the problem.... Squad cars with lights running.
They like to flock together, especially if they can turn their lights on.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
1. Just because you haven't seen them "addressing" crime doesn't mean they haven't been.
Yes. I rarely see any cops addressing crime - good thing, too. I was just pointing out that I haven't seen them do it, and I'm on bicycle a lot.

(Personally, I have seen bike cops collar at least one suspect.)
You're 1 ahead of me.

And mere police presence can deter criminal acts.
Yes. I don't know that on bicycle makes them more present. I suspect less, the case with bicyclists in general.

2. As the headline and article point out, their patrols are not limited to trails.
I just meant to point out that the shared-use trails, best served on bike, aren't a particular problem.

3. As the article also points out, police interaction with community members is important. Much easier to talk with a bike cop than a cop in a patrol car.
Albuquerque's cops shoot people. I avoid them.

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Not sure what you mean exactly by "addressing crime".
Just that I see them around, haven't seen them in action, while I have seen car and foot police in action.

Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
I would prefer to see bicycle cops running 'undercover' and going after aggressive drivers.
That's a better idea. Better yet, a cop not loaded up with all that hardware, who keeps an eye out, calls in the armed cops if s/he sees a problem. We have a lot of porch pirates and some homeless people in our neighborhood. A cop witnessing their thefts could be effective.