View Single Post
Old 07-29-20, 05:35 AM
Cookie99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6800 ultegra ss r derr question

Thanks for the replies. I will wait and see (I am waiting for the 6800 ss derr in the mail). I forgot to mention that I understand the difference in shift capability. I am going to limit the 6800 derr in shifting only 9 speeds. (I hope that it's possible and still retain the smooth shifting). The ratio of these cassettes are nearly all the same: 11-34, 11-32, etc.

I also forgot to mention that I do not intend to buy another cassette. I want the Ultegra to shift 9 speeds, and was asking if it was possible to limit it to do that. I think the limitation is possible through the Sora shifters... Because it is designed to handle only 9 shifts. So in that case, I don't need to worry so much, and I will change the pulleys from the (month old) Sora to the (new) Ultegra so I won't need to get another chain. Yes, it is crude and savage to be modifying a perfectly good 6800 derr, but I don't think the sacrifice is that great. I am going for Ultegra 6800's smooth and silent shifting, not its shifting range. (Coming from someone who has ridden an mtb with an XT drivetrain for many years). ...Sora shifting is somewhat very loud and very clunky. There is some hesitation on each shift, especially when pedalling.

All I hope for, now, is that the spacing in an Ultegra cassette is the same as a Sora's cassette... So the distance between the cogs on the cassette are the same, and that the pull of the cable in the Sora shifter/brake is the same as an Ultegra shifter/brake.

....Or else I'll have to spend a lot more $$$ and still won't know if the issue is the cassette or shifter combo.... On a month old bike. ):

I'll do anything for smoother and more silent shifting (: I hope it all works out.