Old 05-24-21, 03:52 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 407 Posts
Hybrids: Selection and especially sizing.

OK, I am getting way outside my comfort zone here; considering buying two hybrid bikes, my first non-road bikes ever. Likely used (presuming availability and pricing might preclude new) if not strictly C&V by my definition but might qualify by yours, and only partially for me.

Yet again, my wife’s brother is tossing us the keys to the beach house. Lovely place, and apparently bought already furnished; that includes bikes in the garage, but “beach cruisers” and we both found them brutal to ride as much as a mile. They should be used in a coral reef building project. The location is such that it’s at the limit for walking to most places (including the ocean) but absurdly short for driving. So, thinking about picking up two hybrids, using them and leaving them behind (brother in law is a cyclist, indeed raced somewhat long ago).

So, searching CL and “hybrid” gets results. Unsure on sizing. I’m seeing 21” and described 'fits riders 6”4 to 6”6”’ which seems absurd, I am 6”0” and mostly legs and all of my bikes are 24”. Spouse is 5”2” and rides 19” road bike. Sizes seem goofy… there’s a 15” frame? Yeah, yeah, some but not all have slanted top tubes. I found a size guide https://www.evanscycles.com/help/bike-sizing-hybrid , but, bluntly, unsure why it’s different than a road bike. What am I missing?

Are there other pitfalls? I presume I won’t be seeing any Campy! Instead, I presume it will the the Shimano flavor of the month, and shifting will be indexed and via thumb shifters or twist grips — fine by me, not going on any 50 miles rides on these bikes. Depending on age, I figure that componentry will be black finished and not polished or chromed — again, should be fine especially in a beach environment. Sealed bearings on cranks, headset, pedals and hubs would be sweet but perhaps unlikely at lower price points. Basically, a transportation bike, shouldn’t be looking for collectors’ item features.