Old 08-17-22, 05:56 PM
Not2Bright

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ExPatTyke
My daughter has a Raleigh Pro Race that's fitted with 9-speed Sora. The brifters are the normal two lever system, like Tiagra, 105, etc - I think the thumb button was fitted on 8-speed, but not the 9-speed brifters.

Quality and function wise, the Sora system is pretty good and works well. In several years and a few thousand miles of use I've not had to make any repairs apart from a cable and the occasional adjustment. I've got 9-speed Tiagra on one of my C&V bikes that I use as a commuter, and I couldn't honestly say there's any noticeable difference between the Sora and Tiagra set ups.

Are 9 sprockets enough? They do work very well for me on a combination of commuting, club rides, Audaxes, and the occasional sportive, although with a few C&V bikes I very often do the same type of rides on 5, 10, or 12 speed bikes.

I think if you're happy with a 9 sprocket set up then Sora will work very well for you, especially if the price is right.
It's been about a year since I asked this question. I ended up buying a Triban RC500 from Decathlon. It was a decision based on value and availability at the time. (Trek ended up calling months later) I am very pleased with this bike and for the riding I do have no complaints. I get a fair amount of miles but am not a serious enough rider to miss the tighter ratios an 11 or even 10 speed would provide. I am not looking to save seconds so much as dollars. 1,400 miles on the Triban and no mechanical issues. Cable pull disc brakes stop the bike ok for me. Wheels and tires are cheap and will be replaced with something better eventually but for now they are round and tires appear to have plenty of life left. If you're looking for an inexpensive beginner bike or just a cheapskate like myself looking for a cheap ride I think the Triban RC500 is a good value and the RC520 probably even better value with a 105 groupset for a couple hundred dollars more.
Likes For Not2Bright: