View Single Post
Old 02-27-22, 02:59 PM
Cratecruncher

Bikes: '71 Italvega Nuovo Record, '10 Optima Baron

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 17 Posts
Hi all. My recently acquired Baron is the same orange color as the one in the photo. But it is largely stock. The prior owner, who bought it new, added an Optima headrest and panier bag which he passed on. The bike also was modified with a Rotor elliptical main and middle chainring. The return chain was dropped so it made a straight line from the chainring to the under seat drive idler (slicing across the right fork blade). I understand those were popular mods in the mid 2000's when these bikes were at their height. I have already replaced the original chainrings and plan to configure the chain path back to stock similar to Blazing Pedals bike. The seat is carbon but needs a replacement cushion and I'd like any advice on how I should do it. I understand these recumbent seat pads can absorb a lot of cranking power if they are too thick. I only weigh 140 pounds on my heaviest days so I don't need a lot of shock absorbing material. I really like the seat pad BlazingPedals has!

Here are some pictures of the bike when I was disassembling it for the trip home when purchased. It has sat for over ten years in the prior owners garage so I have it apart cleaning, adjusting and scrutinizing everything at the moment. The bike was ridden several thousand miles but the owner took good care of it.