Thread: Bike tool kit?
View Single Post
Old 07-01-22, 09:04 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
You can use whatever hammer you want. Traditionally, claw hammers are used for hammering nails and such; ball peen hammers are traditionally used for metal work. The peen can be used to massage the dents out of fenders and such.
Or, you could do like we do in the Third World and use a valve hammer. What's a valve hammer, you ask? A valve hammer is big-ass intake valve out of a big-ass construction/mining/power generation engine with a piece of rebar welded to it. A valve hammer is most commonly used for bodywork repair, but it can and does work for other, undemanding, light-duty stuff as well.

You see, over here in the Third World, there are two kinds of people: Smart, masculine people and dumb, wimpy people. The smart people are the ones who make their own tools out of metal shavings and leftover aluminum foil as and when they need them. So when my mechanical engineer dad felt he needed a table grinding wheel, he just went ahead and built one

The wimps, on the other hand, are the fools who'd rather go to an actual hardware store and pay actual money for manufactured, mass-produced tools. So when I went to the store and bought me some new tools, I got marked for life as a wimpy fool because, you know, "you could've just stolen the stuff you needed! Or you could've just borrowed it from someone and just never given it back!" My dad tried to teach me how to be "smart" the hard way, and when he lost all hope (and I became numb from all the beatings) he just went ahead and kicked my mom and me out of the house, remarried and had three kids.

Last edited by sjanzeir; 07-01-22 at 09:19 AM.