Old 09-30-22, 12:06 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Sigh - about to retire one (old Litespeed content )

This is a rant of sorts more than anything. Bike is in that ethereal age range where it miiiiight be considered C&V or might not , but ive had this thing forever it seems

a bit over a year ago, i sold a very nice late model S-Works Tarmac to fund a mountain bike build, - thinking i would simply dust off my old Litespeed frameset -- , build it up with a 10 speed Record parts kit i had lying about - and ride off into the sunset - Ti being a "lifetime" frame material and all that . (It was first "retired" a decade ago when it was replaced with a carbon Cannondale Synapse , - and the Tarmac replaced that ) - so this will be its second retirement )

After giving this awesome bike quite a few chances, i have come to the unhealthy conclusion that i just can't get comfortable on it anymore with the top tube reach and saddle drop involved (which is by no means extreme at all - as the photos attest ) --- Every ride has ended in pain and soreness and i am unwilling to explore the possibility of installing a longer fork or performing some other dodgy modifications to try and squeeze a few more miles out of it ( you dont put an orthopedic back pillow in your Ferrari --- LOL) - the bike just needs a younger rider who is in better shape. And this particular frameset doesnt have that "magical Ti ride" people rave about -- due to the larger diameter tubes, the bike is a solid handling machine with a ride quality more in line with big tube aluminum

The frameset has some sentimental value or i'd just put it up for sale and wipe my hands of it , ---- but now i'm going to free up this quite nice and great performing parts kit and build up something steel frfom my C&V collection and a bit more mellow. I've got a couple of choices there, or i could just keep it together for a while and keep working on the 'ol beer belly

But for now - so long old friend - you're getting moved from the garage to my loft - where operational bicycles get sent to retire