Old 04-08-15, 10:01 AM
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DubT
We are on our second Honda Odyssey and are very happy with it. We can haul the tandem with one seat removed and upon our destination remove the tandem and still carry 6 people in comfort. The base model is currently listed at under 30K. We are actually leasing one and will probably lease another one when this one comes off of lease. We currently have a 2013 and it is averaging 24 MPG, the 2014 and up have 6 speed transmissions and are supposed to get even better gas mileage.
A 2007 Honda Odyssey is what we use now, and it is boffo as a tandem transporter. It has 170,000 miles, and is still just fine, will need to be replaced eventually. Why not a new Odyssey? Its sorta large and a minivan, and I'd prefer something more car like, which is why I've investigated crossovers. I'd also like to prove the concept of tandems in a crossover, so that the tandem community will have a new transport option.

With the crossovers, its a game of inches, consoles and seating configuration. The distance from the rear hatch and the center console needs to be about 84". Most crossovers don't have this, and you'd have to modify the console to make room for the rear tire. That's not so easy, as the console is generally electronics laden.

The most straightforward application I've seen so far is the Lincoln MKT.

Strava Tandem Club