Old 08-19-21, 12:12 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
In my 30s I was definitely over training. I rode 6 days a week and sometimes 7. 5000 miles a year was pretty standard for 3 years until I cut back to 3000. During the high mileage, high intensity years I had regular night sweats where I would soak not just me but the top and bottom sheets. To go with that, I would get incredible leg cramps at the most in opportune times, like dinner parties or at the movies, etc. Needless to say, I was also consuming insane amounts of calories just to maintain what little weight I had (6’2” 150 lbs). When I cut back on riding the sweats disappeared and the cramping became far less frequent.

When I got back into cycling again, courtesy of COVID, I started by doing what I used to do, which was riding for 3 or 4 hours. Back came the cramps with a vengeance (due to poor hydration and loss of salts and electrolytes). Occasionally now I will wake up hot, but not sweating and am finally getting into suitable shape again to be getting a few best times for my age bracket.

So overdoing it can lead to night sweats - never bothered to investigate but I’m sure the Google knows, so back off and slowly start ramping up your intensity and distance. If you start sweating the bed, back off AND go see your PCP.