cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Being “petrified of dogs” is in fact an irrational fear, and if you think dogs should be pepper sprayed just for walking up to you, then you apparently share that irrational fear.
Actually, not irrational...
All of you who are some how defending the owner/dog combo who are not reacting properly to other users on a trail - is one of Humanities' greatest flaws - rationalization.
The dog is being 'dog'.
Now the nature of the dog is likely unknown to the other users (dad/child) , and the vast majority of small children will initially be very frightened of any animal coming at them, especially fast moving ones and ones almost or as large as they are. Not irrational behaviour, completely natural and expected of children.
Dog 'Owner' should not even need to be asked. They should respond 'AUTOMATICALLY' and provide some restraint of the dog. No Questions.
Anything else is at the least being inconsiderate, further is 'over-entitlement' and worst is downright 'aggressive'.
I've had a lot of dogs in the family. And always tried to keep encounters with others on the friendly side. All the dogs were large, and some goofy and rambunctious.
I'm good with 'off-leash' in common open spaces, but always ready to intervene if a situation happened. A few times interjecting myself between my dog and the other party.
Always trying to end the meeting in a friendly manner. Sometimes they just moved on cautiously, and I'm OK with that - I did my responsibility properly.
Pepper Spray (not Bear Spray) has a very limited range... I'm ok with that.
You don;t have to do a direct hit. Dogs will back off initially; even if you just use a water bottle spray (which I've had to do a few times, riding...)
But Pepper Spray will work if the dog isn;t playing nice...
Dog may even develop an irrational fear of any spray can pointed at them, after an encounter with Pepper Spray... LOL!
Ride On
Yuri
Opinion is all well and good, until the rubber meets the road... then you do what it takes to not lowside or highside...