Old 01-03-22, 12:47 PM
jlippinbike

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
How to avoid overdosing on oxidative stress while being an active randonneur

This will be my first post to this bike forum where I'm asking a question. Over the past two years I have not been riding a bike. I've had a nice break from being a very active RUSA randonneur from 2017 through 2019. But I'd like to get back into cycling again, and maybe take on another 1000k or 1200k RUSA event. But I'm wary about riding too many miles during the year “training” because I've read (and been told) that too much distance riding creates way too much oxidative stress in my body which can lead to cancer and other unhealthy conditions. Have any of you considered how it is possible to be an active randonneur while maintaining your health, i.e, avoid overloading on oxidative stress? Oxidative stress involves the body's overproduction of free radicals eventually leading to many chronic diseases, including cancer.

I'm thinking that riding with my local bike club on weekends for 8 or 9 months a year will not cause me health problems. And then increasing my mileage for 3 or 4 months (June – Sept?) so I'd be up to doing a grand brevet sometime in late August or early Sept. I'm hoping that would not be too unhealthy. What do you think?

I don't want to come down with cancer AGAIN. Just had surgery to remove an ocular melanoma from my left eye this past September. If I can get cancer once, then I can probably get it again. And I don't want to get it again!