View Single Post
Old 01-24-19, 04:18 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Has discussion in A&S changed your behavior?
In a sense. I learned about Dinotti Lighting here on A&S back when they were by far the brightest tail lights out there. A&S convinced me to run bright lights by day, as well as reasonable lighting at night. I think it made a huge difference. High-vis clothing does little good after dark, reflectors don't work unless a light is pointed at you in just the right way. Lighting is the answer and A&S discussions played a huge part in convincing me.

I am curious about the things that shape or change your behavior as it relates to safety.
If it makes sense, and I didn't already think of it (I'm 60 yo), why not try it?

...what others have done that really helped draw your attention to them?
Lane positioning! I have failed to see a few cyclists who were riding in the door zone on cross streets. Therefore, when I reach a cross street on my bike, I will move into the lane, or even the far left curb if that's what it takes. Moving left, away from a car crossing from my right also serves to give us BOTH more time to react if they don't see me. Some motorist's brains only see cars and trucks. They don't "see" fire hydrants,mail boxes, and cyclists. In other words: My failures to see other road users out in the world has taught me how to maximize my visibility. Lane positioning (don't hide behind other objects), speed (faster is better for getting noticed), contrasting colors clothing or "DayGlow", and adequate lighting.

Now that I know all of this for many years now it just seems like common sense. Much of it I picked up from A&S discussions.