Old 05-21-21, 04:10 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4237 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Just heard back from the first bike shop I got a repair estimate from for my bike after getting hit this week. I'd hoped it was just a crumpled rim so the wheel would need rebuilding. Not so much. It's nice to hear that your possessions are priceless - the shop guy's wording and description of why he was having a hard time making an estimate - up until you have to try to repair/replace them.

Hand-built Italian lugged steel racing bike (with 80's flair like a race number hanger tag brazed on and the team paint/decals from Team PDM) in an odd size - he had no clue how to put a number on that. Do you call it what it would cost to get an equivalent custom steel bike from Italy today? The rear triangle is bumped out of alignment, so it might, maybe be fixable for $500 with no guarantees.

My rear wheel was a powertap, but the hub is cracked and they don't make powertap wheels anymore, so I'd need a new wheel and a new powermeter.

My shifters are scraped up, but you can't just replace them because Campagnolo no longer makes a 10 speed shifter that can shift a triple and shift multiple gears at once. And on and on. Feeling bummed, but still, I need to think about my teammate's story about riding in Boulder on Sunday a couple miles away from someone who got hit and didn't make it at the exact same time and how I'm alive.

Maybe my next bike should be a Kickr Bike.
Likes For himespau: