Old 03-27-17, 04:36 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by mgw4jc
Question for anyone with getting around Boston knowledge...

I will be in the area for the Boston Marathon in three weeks. I would prefer to not rent a car. I am likely staying out a little bit, but right near the Dedham Corporate Station (walking distance to that rail stop). I will need to get back and forth from Back Bay / Boston Commons area a couple of times. I should be able to use the MBTA Commuter Rail for that. I'm assuming it is reliable enough and it looks like the schedule runs at times that will work okay for me.

Sunday afternoon I may need to get around the downtown area a bit. For example, from the Marathon Expo near Copley Square to Little Italy / North End and then back again to the Back Bay station. This looks to be only a couple of miles, but I want to minimize my walking seeing as how the next day is the Marathon. So would the Hubway share be a good option here? Is the bike availability decent and routes okay around there? I'm okay riding in traffic and such.

Any other tips on getting around while I'm there are much appreciated. Thanks!
I live in Kenmore Square, about half a mile from the Hynes Auditorium where the Marathon Expo is usually held. It's an easy subway ride from there to the North End (not Little Italy...that's in New York).
Originally Posted by irwin7638
I think it's the Nahth Eind, I swear we just can't take you anywhere!
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
At least she didn't call it "Lilittly"(Little Italy).
The Marathon weekend is a very exciting time in the Back Bay where the Hynes Auditorium and the finish line are.

I regularly use the Franklin Commuter Rail, which serves the Dedham Corporate Center stop. The schedule is pretty convenient, and it's only about 20 minutes to the Back Bay Train Station.

The Hubway Bike Share is easy to use and stations are plentiful in the downtown, including Back Bay and the North End. The website also shows bike availability and open docking stations. And in general Boston is a very walkable city with many attractions within a relatively small area.

Are you running in the Marathon, or planning to do any biking? My convenient Bike Shop also rents bikes of good quality; the Hubway bikes are heavy duty ones. FYA, I have posted a Cyclists Guide to Metro Boston about the cycling scene here including Bike Paths, and bringing bikes on public transportation.

I personally enjoy showing visitors around Boston, and I have offered some open-ended invitations on a few Forums to look me up if visiting Boston, for advice or to meet up. I do usually need a couple days notice to alter my schedule. That weekend is Easter weekend, but I may be able to work around family plans if interested...

PS: Another resource on the Forums would be this thread on the Regional Discussion Forums, Metro Boston: Good ride today? with a lot of knowledgeable local subscribers.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-27-17 at 08:15 PM. Reason: added PS