View Single Post
Old 12-03-19, 10:23 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Took a full week completely off the bike, which is always hard for me. What helped was during a 2 hour ride I got 'trainer rub' on my cheek to the point it bleed and formed a big scab. Visited my family in SF, installed 3 small sheds. Got a ton of work done. Sometimes I think I should hang up the bike and completely focus on fixing up our house. Its not a fixer upper by any means but we have a backyard the size of a hockey rink filled with weeds and every year my half assed attempts to eradicate it fail. I could make it into a nice area if I put the time into it.

Originally Posted by Hermes
Wife and I are in Maui over Thanksgiving. We rented Specialized Roubaix and did a 32 mile out and back ride this AM.

There was a Grand Fondo yesterday that was a 60 mile loop around the north part of the island. However, the trade winds were blowing 30 mph minimum with gusts to 50 mph plus rain on some sections - passed on that. Yesterday, the ocean waves were running parallel to the beach and red flag warnings posted for surfing. I think if one went in the water, if was possible to be blown out to sea.
I took my wife down to the beach at Pacifica to show her the waves; we had a few crash over the rocks and onto our Jeep. Then when we got out near the pier she got hit with one from the waist down.

The waves were at this spot and about twice as big

Pacifica is probably one of the worst beach towns in California but the one thing they have over the other town are storm waves.

Originally Posted by Cypress
A long-time friend and racer goes to Maui twice a year with his bikes. He said that the Strava KOM's are usually untouchable because the top ten spots were set during hurricane-force wind advisories
Some of our areas are like that (because of the Santa Ana Winds). When I punctured my lung I was rolling 30-35 on the flats and was sure I'd get a KOM on the bike trail, which is one of our most ridden segments.