View Single Post
Old 11-28-09, 12:10 AM
krems81 

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
They're all over here in Chicago. People really dig them in this city, for style. Sometimes I wonder what people think when they see a vintage bike I thoroughly rebuilt locked up somewhere, all shiny with new wheels, headsets, pedals, etc., etc. I saw one of my builds the other day, a raleigh supercourse powdercoated with white cloth tape clear shellaced and a vintage b17. It looked beautiful, but it was a bit dirty, and I had to track the guy down and tell him he needs fenders!

Then i was in a great bike shop, a vintage friendly place that carries pashley and some velo orange stuff, Giles Berthoud, etc. along with plenty of new Bianchi. They had a completely original vintage army bike on the rack, complete with a leather gun holster strapped to the seat tube, under the seat stays. It had a rod brake in front, with a pad that comes down on the tire, original racks etc.

I asked what it was in for. They said a new inner tube. Everything was in perfect working order, and while I was there a mechanic took it out for a test ride. I felt like I was in another time watching it roll out the front door looking ready for a thousand miles, in a shop that had vintage looking stuff hanging all around.