Old 08-01-19, 11:39 AM
iflyskyhigh

Bikes: 2002 Serotta Legend Ti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Campagnolo Chorus 12 Chainring and Cassette selection.

I posted this in the Clydesdale section, but then I thought if a person wasn't a bigger rider they might not visit that section and I might be missing out on some valuable input.

Decided to upgrade my 2001 Record 10 to the new Chorus 12 speed

I'm a big guy. I am fit, but never the less, you can't defy physics. I'm 6-4 high 220's.

I live and ride in the Phoenix, AZ metro area. It's a valley so you are always going uphill at least one way. Once you get out of the valley a little there are some good inclines, but I'm might ride into the mountains once in a blue moon.

I'm pushing a 50/34 now with either a 12/25 or 13/26 and 99.9% of the time have no problem turning the peddles over. There a couple inclines around here where I really have to dig, but they are the exception not the rule.

So with all that being said, before I go and order...Campy is offering a compact 50/34 or a sub compact 48/32. With a cassette option of 11-29, 11-32, 11-34.

I've looked at the gear inches calculator, but I'm having interpreting what it means to be in the real world performance?

I'm leaning towards the 50/34 with an 11-32 cassette. But do I even really need an 11-32 cassette? Do I opt of 11-29 with smaller jumps?

Or do I go 48/32 with the 11/29? Would that give the best of both?

Thoughts?

Sorry for the repeat. I can delete one post or the other depending upon which place is the best for the question to be posed.