kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: http://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
...So do you keep using the fancy tires or are you back to something cheaper?...
I'm not a convert to wide tires for everyday road/training rides, so the vast majority of my miles are on 25mm tires. I go through a lot of those so I'm not too picky about it and usually just add something on sale to get free shipping on some other order. 28mm is my preferred width for most paved brevets, and I'm content with GK's or GP5000's. They're good enough and at ~$35/tire I don't feel bad replacing them before they're completely worn out so I can run newish tires for long rides. I'm still running Compass tires on my bike with 32's but will probably replace them with something cheaper when they wear out. At 38, I'm also running Compass and will likely stick with RH when they wear out. Seems worth it to me at that width and I haven't seen the GK 38's for ~$35 like I have for the narrower widths so the price difference isn't as significant. My 32 & 38mm tire bikes are relatively low mileage bikes in my fleet, so the tires last several seasons which is why they still have Compass tires. I haven't found any detectable difference in average speed between any decent set of tires. So many other things affect average speed on long rides that tire choice is a fairly negligible factor. The difference for me with the Compass/RH tires is ride quality, which gets more noticeable as tires get wider and air pressure goes down.