Old 09-10-22, 07:06 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I have never heard you rant about IR/RUSA, I'm talking about someone else. Tbh, I wasn't under the impression he's that old, he must have started randonneuring pretty young. He's not happy about RUSA not recognizing IR results or something. I understand the switchover was somewhat acrimonious. But when I hear discussions about it I always manage to tune out. I guess the switch may have made problems for people to find rides if the volunteers in one of the smaller areas didn't switch over right away.
RUSA has done a lot of really good things for randonneuring.

Porting old results into a new system (migration of legacy data) is an expensive PITA that companies try to avoid. I would say it was harder to earn the SR back in the day because there was no support and there were not so many brevets and one typically had to travel to get to them but who cares if the results are lost. I guess riders like having "credit" for brevets. I never felt that way, completing the ride is my reward although I am happy to have done R12 once. Several years back I got a DQ and the RBA was profusely apologetic and I was like no big deal, I finished the brevet. I could not find the control and was dealing with some pain. I simply spaced out and missed it, a well known velomobile rider comes by me later and says, why didn't you stop at the control, I saw you looking around. At that point, it was probably an hour and a half round trip to the last control. I thought a witness or gramin trace would have been sufficient, but rules are rules and that is ok. The difference to the IR days, that section of route would have had one manned control and not 4. I figure randonneurs in the USA are so fat is because we have to buy junk food every 10-15 miles at a minimart. LOL.